Re: Directory Permissions

Paul 'Shag' Walmsley (ccshag@everest.cclabs.missouri.edu)
Sat, 15 Oct 1994 14:29:39 +36000

On Sat, 15 Oct 1994, George Hodson wrote:

> James and his users' .rhosts files got me thinking...
>
> How about /home/JoeBrown in passwd
> /home/JoeBrown owned by root
> /home/JoeBrown/.profile (or whatever) cds JoeBrown into a subdir he owns
> /home/JoeBrown/.profile sources a file owned by JoeBrown in his subdir.
>

> This way root _can_ really own .rhosts .profile .kshrc etc, and
> set some variables readonly if he chooses. Also he can control use
> of .forward .rhosts etc.
>

> Probably far too simple for this list, I mean permissions on directories
> aren't an issue, are they :-)
>
> George

I just thought I ought to put in a word here for the IRIX admins among
us: IRIX's rshd can be prevented from reading .rhosts files if the -l
switch is used.

(This is on IRIX 5; I don't remember whether IRIX 4 supports the same
behavior)

- Paul "Shag" Walmsley <ccshag@everest.cclabs.missouri.edu>
  "I am learning and evolving."